There are so many different milestones in babies lives, all of which make us parents feel like our child is the cutest and smartest baby on the planet! Well, that's because it's TRUE! And there's not a soul who could tell us any differently. As a matter of fact, my baby genius is sitting in his Snugabunny, and he's telling me all sorts of things. He's telling me he's hungry, and he's telling me that he's found his voice! That's right, my seven-week old, today, baby genius, is practicing talking. He says things like, "haaoo" which means Hi, "haaoo" which means wow, "haaoo" which means hello, and "haaoo" which means I love you mommy/daddy. Isn't it wonderful how we can interpret EXACTLY what they're intending to say? Oh, and don't let me forget that the rapid "hahahahahahahaha" is "I'm hungry, so feed me or I'm gonna get pretty mad at you, mom!"
The first set of stats any parents ever gets excited about are the measurements of their baby. I realized that I should be sharing these first few appointments, so I'll do my best to remember. I only have one of the papers provided by the doctor, which is the most recent.
At Birth: 4:40PM, 6 pounds, 2.3 ounces, 18.5 inches long. Head circumference is a mystery.
Leaving the hospital to come home: 5 pounds, 10 ounces.
First appointment on daddy's birthday: 19.5 inches, I believe he was 5 pounds 14 ounces.
Two week checkup: 20 inches, 6 pounds 10 ounces, still no clue on the head.
One month checkup: 7 pounds, 8.4 ounces (6th percentile), 21 inches (30th percentile), head measurement is 14 (do they do that in inches or cm?), (8th percentile)
We have another checkup for him coming up on September 7th that daddy will take him to. We have a sneaking suspicion that he's going to have surpassed 8 pounds, because even daddy has noticed that the car seat carrier is getting mighty heavy! Our growing boy.
Another milestone that is dear to all parents is the baby's first smile. Not the smile where it's in his sleep; but rather, the smile when he hears your voice and gets so happy that his eyes squint and his mouth pops open in joy! Sometimes, it's even followed or accompanied by a coo. We've just recently begun to experience this with little Dominic. His first real talking and smiling session with me was actually when I went to work one night with my husband. I have been getting very lonely at home while he is either sleeping, or away at work, so we decided I would go hang out at the office while he worked in the other room. Of course our son comes with us. On Thursday August 18th, I had just finished feeding and burping Dominic, who remained to be my awake boy after he finished eating. Typically, he gets sleepy, but not this time. So, I laid him on the ground to change his diaper and noticed that as soon as I laid him down, he looked unusually happy- something I hadn't really seen before. And I told him, "Ok baby boy, I'm gonna change your diaper now." His glance shifted and looked directly at me, and I said to him, "Hi there!" And in that moment, he flashed me a smile that made me laugh with joy. I finished changing his diaper and continued to say little things to him and each of them yielded the same result. I gave him quick kisses on his cheek, and he responded with a big smile and coo! I started asking him if he could say "Hi" or "wow" or "hellooooo" and at one point, he found his voice so interesting that he was just talking up a storm! He had me cracking up- not because it was funny, but because I was so overly happy that he was finding his voice and responding to me! I'm so in love with his little voice, which is strikingly different from his whine and cry.
This isn't so much a milestone as it is early wishes, but Dominic simply loves to stand up. Sometimes, I'll be cradling him and he will be really squirmy. I'll change him to belly to belly, and he'll push really hard with his legs on me. So, I'll pick him up and he will push down as hard as he can to a standing position while I hold under his arms. He'll take a break and squat on my tummy, and then a minute later he's back on his feet! He loves doing squats at such a young age. At his one month appointment, he showed off his scooting skills to the doctor, while limited but there, and his standing skills. Her eyes got a bit big, she took her hand and brought it to her cheek, then scratched her forehead. "He's really strong!" And then said to me something I wasn't sure I was happy about. "He's doing these things really early. I wouldn't be surprised if you had a walking boy by 7 months!" SCREEEEEEECCHHH put on the brakes! Did you say 7 months? What made me believe she truly meant that, was the way she brought her hand to her face and scratched her forehead as she was observing him.
After his bath incident the other day, I've been to nervous to bathe him on my own. Tonight, I've a hot date with my husband and some wonderful friends of ours are coming over to watch Dominic on his 7 week old birthday. She's a lover of babies, and has nannied kids who fall in love with her in an instant. I bet she's a pro, and I wonder if it's too much to ask her and her fun husband to bathe the naked baby! He could use it... especially now that he's getting older and his digestive system is in well working order, if you get my drift.
Welp, mommy's baby just went down for a nap, so I think I need to take advantage and start feeding myself. He's eaten plenty and I'm starving; what's wrong with that picture! I'll tell you- Absolutely nothing. Not one, single thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment