Today was a great day! Dominic spent lots of time playing with Daddy in the basement, and other times he was playing with me in his jump jump play place. He's getting so good, learning how to push the buttons to make the music play and the lights blink; learning how to spin around in a circle; and learning how to pull toys towards him so he can pick them up! It's been fun the past few days watching his brain completely transform what he's able to do, simply by trial and error.
Speaking of trial and error, the other thing that made today great was my chance to do some cooking while Daddy and Dominic played in the basement. We were having some friends over, so of course something yummy must be put on the table. I made, for the first time, herb and garlic cream cheese spread, southwestern egg rolls, and a delicious homemade whipped cream topping for the Ghirardelli brownies I made from the box, of course.
Dominic was happily playing in his jump jump while I finished cooking when Cotton started to go crazy- our guests arrived! The first thing my girlfriend wanted to do was to see Dominic, so we came back upstairs so she could greet him. She got down on his level, talked to and smiled with him, and all of a sudden his lip folded and he began to wail.
(Picture shown is obviously not from the same story I'm talking about. But it depicts what I need it to.)
She picked him up and he stopped crying for about three seconds, so I scooped him up and he continued to cry every time he looked their way. STRANGER DANGER! He came downstairs with us and we managed to get him happy by putting him in the Johnny Jump-Up, giving him his crinkle cube, his hello phone, and letting him play by himself. But, every time he looked and saw the guests, the lip folded and he cried, and cried.... and cried. When did this happen?! Just a few days ago, he was babysat by the neighbor, with whom he is less than acquainted with! It surely struck me as odd that I had to remove him from the party, take him to his dark, quiet room, and comfort him with a bottle and kisses on the forehead. He usually LOVES people!
I began to get very nostalgic, remembering the days when Dominic went with me everywhere- to work, to bed, to the store- he was always safe and secure, right in my belly. Lately, I've been wishing for him to feel comfortable in my arms, to sleep next to me at night just like he used to. Lately, I've just wanted nothing but to spend every minute of my day with this little person, and today just made it harder that I have to bring him to school in the mornings, that I have to lay him in his crib at night, and that I have to spend many days at work without him. We used to be together 24/7 for a good nine months; now, it's far less than I'd like it to be.
You know, honestly I never understood when mom's got so upset at the sight of their children crying. I never understood what they meant when they said that when their babies hurt, so do they. I never understood what it meant... well, with any of it. I get it now. Dominic, you are an extension of me. You are my world, my life, my little joy. This mom loves you more than you will ever, ever know.

No comments:
Post a Comment