You might recall an earlier blog about 'how will baby look' and 'will he be cute' and the end conclusion that, even if he wasn't the world's best looking baby, he's still going to be the cutest thing I'd ever seen.
Well, last night, Daddy and I were talking about this after a couple of waitresses had told us how cute he was. Oh, by the way, Dominic's first restaurant is Red Lobster, and I failed to bring the camera. What is WRONG with me? I need a camera that I can staple to my arm and never forget so we can capture all of this stuff! We are terrible at taking pictures of memorable events and moments, and I feel like it's a duty to do that now that I'm a madre!
At any rate, my dear husband says to me through laughter, "Remember when you were wondering if he was going to be cute? I bet he's going to be reading through that blog, and wonder how you really felt about how he looked!" To which I quickly responded, "Well, I'll have to blog about it!"
When Dominic first arrived, Daddy reported back to me saying how much he looks like my dad! When my brother and sister had their sons, they too bore a very strong resemblance to my dad. I was so happy, because that meant he looked at least a little like me! They hadn't given me the baby yet, so he was taking videos and pictures and bringing them back to me. He sure was cute! But, really, I've found that even when I am taking pictures, the pictures do him absolutely zero justice when it comes to how he truly looks when you're sitting there, staring this little guy in the face.
When I first held him, I was in awe. Firstly, because my body had just grown this miracle to what it was now; a perfect, breathing, living, loving life; a person who gets hungry, feels discomfort, comfort, adoration- all of the feelings that real live humans feel. And here he was, my little human. What a miracle this creation of life is, and not just my baby; all babies. I was in awe, secondly, because I did not expect him to be THAT cute! I know that, as his mother, I'm incredibly biased and see every feature about him as cute- his fingers, toes, fingernails and toenails, the way he sucks his bottom lip in, his hungry cry (which is 'hah, hahaha, hahah... literally), the way he blinks, the softness of his ears. But I took a step back and thought to myself, "Even if I wasn't biased, this is just flat out, one of the cutest babies I've ever seen." And everyday, as he loses more of that freshly born baby look and gains more of that healthyI'vebeenoutofthewombawhile look, it just gets cuter. Dominic, your daddy said to me, "This is pretty much the cutest baby ever created." I agree. And so do many, many other people. Your cousin Jaclyn said so the other day too. She said, "Not even just saing this, he is seriously one of the cutest babies I have ever seen!"
All cuteness aside, I feel so fortunate to have grown and birthed a healthy and happy baby boy. A little boy who is hungry, who hiccups, cries, sleeps and breathes. I am so fortunate to have a little boy who, when placed on my chest for skin-to-skin time, became incredibly alert and for the first time, opened his eyes completely. It was as if that moment breathed a new breath of life into him. I'll never forget that moment. And I'm never going to see you as grown up. I'll never look at you and not see the face of a baby, new and mixed perfectly of his mommy and daddy. You will be 50 and I will be 75, and your face? Just the same as it is today. I've never loved something more than I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment