Dominic's first bath was really an experience. Not just for him, but for me too! I was pretty frightened that I'd do something wrong- like, he'd slip into the water, or I wouldn't know the right temperature, or I'd get water in his ears or on his cord. Or in his mouth. Or soap in his eyes. See how many things there are to go wrong?! Good thing I had his daddy there to help, and it was a success. I later informed you of the tragedy that took place when I thought I'd almost ruined my child's well-being after an attempt at bathing him on my own, which actually resulted in my refusal to bathe him alone for quite some time. (Apparently I type too loud, because I just woke him out of a dead sleep...)
At any rate, eventually, my dear friend Kaitlin informed me of this little device that actually takes the temperature of the water, and tells you when it's too cold, just right, or too hot. Wow, who ever heard of a water thermometer?! Well, of course I had, but the thought never even crossed my mind. The only thought that crossed my mind was, "I wish I knew what temperature to make the water so I could bathe my child." I guess I was much too overwhelmed with that to actually be rational about it.
Well, over time, I've become much more confident in my bath (and care) giving abilities. I have Mr. Turtle as my help. He tells me exactly what temperature the water is, and gives me a yellow light if it's too cold, a green light if it's just right, and a red light if it's lobster hot. Red = Lobster. Brilliant.
Dominic didn't much enjoy his first bath. Or subsequent baths that I gave him because I always made him cry with either too cold water, or too hot water. It would surprise him, and then he'd scream. Now, he LOVES bath time, and I'm going to make sure he knows to thank Mr. Turtle for that. (By the way, my first big, impressive word that I spelled to every adult I came across was Turtle. I think I was in kindergarten, or just shy of it.) I stick this boy in his bath chair in the tub, and he smiles and thrashes and splashes and laughs.
When I first set him in the tub, his extremities are normally far cooler than the temperature of the rest of his body. One night about a week or two ago, I went to put his hands in the water to warm them up so he wouldn't be cold; my next plan was to pour the warm water over his cold little feet. Well, I really didn't get too far with his hands before I completely threw out the warming his feet idea. The moment his hands were submerged in the water, Dominic let out a stream that shot clear above my head, and missed my face by a hair. How a tiny little baby can shoot pee that high up in the air is beyond me, literally! Hahaha. Ok that was bad. But seriously, I cannot believe how much pressure is behind that little bladder!
After just a few weeks of being a mom, getting peed on fell to concern level zero because it happens several times per day. I think I have really terrible timing at diaper changing. The other day, in the middle of the night around 2:30, I was changing the boy's diaper in the dark. As soon as I removed the top part of the diaper that covers the firehose, I felt this warm buzzing on my arm and face. I screamed and swatted at it, only to realize that it was not a bug, but my son's 'water'. I redirected the spray until he was done, and ended up having to give a quick sponge bath to the both of us. Really, son? 2:30?
So now, bath time has some precautions. Everyday, as soon as I set his little butt in that water, I use one hand to redirect, and the other to place his hands in the warm water. This ensures that all ammunition has been emptied before I start leaning over him to clean him, and talk to him. Though it's mostly a self preservation/protection tactic, it's become somewhat entertaining because, it really does work. You put someone's hands in warm water, and they're gonna pee. HAHAHA! Sorry Dominic, your mom is... fill in the blank. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment