Thursday, December 22, 2011

I Don't Feel Good, Mommy. December 19, 2011

Dominic has had a cold for about two months now, but it hasn't really bothered him until very recently.  One day last week, Daddy picked the boy up from school and called me with some awful news. "There is a note on the door that says two cases of RSV were confirmed at the school."  We decided that, since Dominic has been getting a little worse as of late, we should take him to the doctor and get him tested for RSV. Not to mention, this poor little guy coughs, sneezes, and wheezes. We took him to the doc once before because of our concern for the raspyness of his breath, but the doc said she wasn't concerned at that point and to let the cold run its course. But with the coughy, wheezy, sneezy and the cases of RSV, it was time to go back to see his pediatrician.  This time around, we got him some Albuterol and have been giving that to him to open his airways and allow the phlegm to drain. Dominic, in his ever-stubborn ways, did everything he could to avoid the mask of the nebulizer, and always proceeded to kicking, smacking, screaming and crying.

He has started waking up every few hours at night from coughing and crying in his sleep. I had to start sleeping on his floor to make sure I was there to hear every noise and make sure he was OK. It has been two months since Dominic started going to bed on his own, and for the first time, this little boy fell asleep in my arms again.

I woke up at 5AM because he was crying, and I went to his side and cradled and fed him. He chowed down on some delicious milk, and as soon as he ran out and the bottle wheezed on E, he turned his head facing my belly, closed his eyes, and began to sleep. I was supposed to get ready for work at that point, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I locked the glider in the back position, closed my eyes, and slept with my baby for a whole hour. It was the best hour of sleep in my life! We've gotten to do that a few more times these days, and it's been glorious.

You know how kids always lay their heads on mommy or daddy's shoulder, and go to sleep? Dominic never does that for me, but the other night when daddy was comforting him from a rough night, he laid his head on his protector's shoulder and was fast asleep. I think my heart could have popped.

Finally, we went back to see the doctor and she gave him some medicine that has really helped. Dominic is visibly more comfortable, aside from the fact that he wakes up these days to a TOOTH that is coming in! This poor kid can't catch a break!  Though, he will kill the ladies with cuteness with his one snaggle tooth. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment