I had an ultrasound schedule for March 30th because of the recommendation to get a re-scan of the baby's kidneys. I woke up this morning and was feeling mighty bad- I felt the onset of a headache the night before and woke up feeling like I had a bag of bricks on my face, so I decided to stay home from work. I felt pretty worthless after waking up around 10AM feeling a lot better than I did at 0530, but still was feeling a little loopy from the medication. I decided to stay home the whole day, and change my appointment to be productive. How lucky was I that about five minutes before I phoned, someone canceled their noon appointment; I was in!
So, I threw on my comfy clothes- big baggy GMU pants and a big baggy GMU shirt, and cozily drove in my heated seats over to the medical building. I asked Daddy to go with me, and he would have been able to because his friend was going to cancel the gym on him, but last minute found out that there was no gym cancellation. Darn! So I went alone. They took me right back and I went in there. The lady came into the room and I recognized her. I awkwardly said, "Hey, aren't you the lady who did MY kidney scan just over a month ago or whenever that was?" She gave me an even more awkward look than I had my statement, and said no, she had no recollection of that. Don't you love it when that happens? It's not like I was some random dude hitting on her saying, "Hey, have we met before?" I distinctly remembered who she was! Oh well.
She put the goo on the sensor and plopped it on my belly; I love this place because they have the goo warmers. It's never cold! She saw his face right away and said, "Let's see if we can get a good profile shot." At that moment, my little man nodded his head "yes" as if to say go ahead! I'm pretty sure he was sleeping, though, and was just getting comfy. Still, it made me and the tech laugh because it was at just the right time. As she continued to examine him, I noticed something that brought back a memory. Growing up and even now (until I was no longer able to sleep on my back), I always woke up with my arms crossed against my chest, and my ankles crossed; kind of like how a vampire is portrayed sleeping in movies. I noticed that my baby's arms were crossed right against his chest, and I asked the tech, "Do all babies sleep like this in the womb?" "No," she said, "they usually just have their tiny little fists curled up on either side of their faces." Whether or not lots of other babies sleep with their arms crossed against their chest, I was delighted to see that my son had a little bit of his mommy's habits already. It may be sheer coincidence, but I don't care; it made me happy and I was just beaming ear to ear thinking about it all day!
She looked over his kidneys and said, "I don't know why they had you come back here. He's fine; it's exactly the same as before." She left the room to go speak with the doctor, and when she came back, she said to me, "I did do your kidney scan! I remember you." I knew I wasn't crazy. I remembered everything about her! She was so nice, and she smiled, and she didn't make you feel like you annoyed her. She had a soft voice and long brown hair. I knew her! She sees so many people a day, so I didn't feel offended when she didn't recognize me; but I did feel glad when she did. That was the second time she met my baby boy!
I have pictures of Dominic from this visit, but they're just a bigger version of the original. If anyone is dying to see them, let me know and I can post them here; otherwise, it's just a picture of his hand, a picture of his foot, and then two profile and two face shots. Still looking a lot like daddy, and still melting his mommy's heart. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment