Moms always get excited and overjoyed about their baby's first everything; the first step, the first word, the first bite of real food, the first swim in the pool, the first day of school, the first birthday. The list goes on forever, and it appears that so far, I am no different. I've written about baby's first story, and now about his first set of hiccups. It's really interesting how proud we are of our children and how we love to boast about it to anyone who will read or listen. Some can appreciate it very much so, such as other mothers, while others look at us and say, "All she ever does is talk about her kid!" To me, it shows just how much a parent loves their child when they endlessly boast about their every move, their every action, their every word. I used to be one of those people who wondered why all that mothers talked about were their children. I might still wonder from time to time, but it doesn't mean I'm not any different. I've got a whole blog about my baby! :)
In an effort to keep healthy and to maintain a good weight during my pregnancy, I've been incorporating a good bit of fruit into my diet. I am a big fan of buying lots of fresh fruit, cutting it up and putting it into a dish as fruit salad, from which I can then draw servings of fruit and eat it for breakfast or throughout the day. I've learned from this that fresh pineapple is FAR more delicious than canned pineapple, and that canned pineapple is practically no good for a fruit salad. At any rate, I ran out of fruit one day, but still had a good bit of strawberries. I brought a nice big baggie of them to work and munched on them as I carried out my morning duties. About 20 minutes after I finished, I felt something very rhythmic in my stomach. Up to this point, I was certain that my son would never get the hiccups, and I would just have to imagine what others were feeling like. I was one of those moms the articles spoke of when saying that 'some babies never get hiccups in the womb.' So, I stopped what I was doing, leaned back, and sat five minutes straight to make certain that it was what I thought it was. And once I was sure, I called my man and told him that his son was hiccuping and that it was due to my strawberries!
Initially, that was my assumption. I felt that he loved strawberries.
I tested this theory for a few days by eating a good sum of strawberries for breakfast each morning, and sure enough, this little baby in my belly would get the hiccups. I even tested it twice in a day! Once in the morning, once in the evening. Without fail, about 20 minutes after I consumed this delicious red berry, my son was also consuming the sweet flavor of the amniotic fluid and hiccuping! I read an article that spoke of a study where a woman's uterus was injected with glucose (sugar). After a bit of time, the baby began drinking the amniotic fluid, and ended up drinking twice as much as he normally did without the glucose! So, I started paying attention every time I ate something. And so far, there are a few staple foods that Dominic is a huge fan of, just like his daddy:
Willard's Barbeque (best bbq in the whole world)
Strawberries
Icecream
Fruit Juice
And most recently, fritos and cream cheese (one of mommy's favorites)
When I went in for my glucose test, I also found that after drinking 50 grams of glucose in 12 ounces of liquid (or was it 8?) my son got the hiccups. This was certainly his longest set of hiccups, lasting nearly 15+ minutes. Wow! I love to eat things just to make him hiccup. And if I eat those foods like the ones above, or if I drink fruit juice, Dominic is right there to indulge himself and drink as fast as he can. As his mommy and daddy are, I suspect that my little piglet is going to be a foodie!

No comments:
Post a Comment