One of the most fun parts about having a baby is shopping for the baby. Every mom-to-be can attest to this, as they dreamily look at the little clothes and shoes hanging on the racks that their child will eventually wear. Well, this time, it's the daddy-to-be's turn to do this. On a whim, we decided we'd head out for some frozen custard and hit up BabysRUs to finish our baby registry. We got the scanner gun and started going through each isle, one by one, to make sure that we'd scanned everything we needed; this way, when we go shopping, we can reference our registry for things we don't have and know what we need right away! It was fun; we looked at the bathroom stuff and bottle stuff. We looked at the high chairs and the swings. We looked at the diapers and the changing pads, and the diaper bags and the miscellaneous items they create these days that no one has any clue what to do with. And then, we headed over to the bedding. We of course needed to pick out all the necessary bedroom stuff for our sweet boy.
We meandered on over to the first crib we saw, and an excited daddy went from a stroll to a sprint in a hot second! What was the exclamation that came out of his mouth? "MONKEYS!!!" And as he tore through the decorative quilt and sheets on the display crib, I made my way over there and told him he needed to go to the wall where the bedding was, that he wasn't going to find a bar code for the display sheets on the crib. "WHERE IS IT!?!?!," he exclaimed with excitement. And before my arm finished pointing where my mouth was saying "Over there," he'd taken off into a fast walk right in line for those sheets. You know, the kind of walk where you're going so fast that you're butt shakes back and forth? Yeah, that. It really made my day. It made me forget that being a mom is going to be a crazy ton of work; it made me forget that I had to rearrange my whole life for this little life inside me; it made me forget anything else I had on my mind at that moment. The image of my child's father excitedly heading towards the monkey themed sheets, unable to control his excitement, was a moment that I think I'll see when my life flashes before me when God chooses to bring me home.
When I arrived over to the bedding, I overheard him looking at some random item on the shelf, "What's this? It's Monkeys! He needs it!Ohh, and this too! Monkey!"
As I walked and walked around that warehouse of baby items, my stomach felt like it was growing exponentially just in those moments. It was as if I could feel it molding and stretching and becoming larger. I was walking around holding up the bottom of my belly, wondering what on earth was going on in there. Up to this point, I'd been showing, but nothing was really too heavy or too burdensome. I didn't feel much of the effects from the pregnancy, but tonight, whoa baby! But it didn't matter. I didn't tell my hubz until he noticed at the very end that I was hunching forward trying to take some of the pressure off. I didn't tell him because, how could you want that kind of night to end? Daddy walking around getting ready for his little monkey to make his appearance with a glimmer in his eye and a slightly higher tone in his voice. I sure didn't. Not for my little monkey and his daddy. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment