The same lady who made my appointment on her made-up weekly calendar made my ultrasound follow-up appointment. When I was leaving the office at my prior four week visit, she would not let me walk out the door without making that appointment. I told her, "Listen, I have to make my ultrasound appointment. I'll call you when I make that and schedule the appointment with my doctor the same week." She absolutely refused and said, "NO! You must do it now." From my past experiences with her, I kind of figured out that, in the nicest way possible, she was not cut out for this job. But, in order to be peaceful, I caved and made my appointment for the 15th. She assured me that if I were to get the ultrasound appointment for the 14th that my results would be in my doctor's hand by the next morning. I should have known better than to listen to her; and I probably should have called and rescheduled my appointment after I made my ultrasound appointment, but it didn't even cross my mind at the time. So, needless to say, when I got to this appointment, my doctor, in fact, did not have my results in hand. I was less than satisfied with this, but when I arrived that morning and saw four new staff members, and listened to them as they were reorganizing and revamping the place, I felt better and like my future appointments wouldn't be as they'd been over time. They were even talking about how to schedule certain types of appointments earlier in the day to prevent people from having to be in the waiting room for more than 15 minutes. So, when I was waiting to see my doctor, my frustration subsided and I looked forward to the new face of my OB/GYN visits.
The nurse called me back and took all of my vitals and I sat in the examination room waiting for my doctor. He came in and congratulated us on our new baby boy and asked the first question that everyone else asks, "So, have you picked out a name yet?" And he had the same reaction as everyone else has, "Wow, you already picked it?" It's amazing how people who don't even know the other exists will say the same thing, with the same facial expressions, and the same intonation. He had me lay back and he pulled out the doppler to listen to the baby's heartbeat. As soon as the sensor hit my stomach, my baby started kicking it. He began rolling around, kicking, punching, squirming, and doing all of the things he was doing at the ultrasound and, this time, he made my doctor laugh. "He's really active!" He sure is, doc. :)
Finally, he was able to get a reading for long enough to get a good idea of what his heart rate was, but just barely. He informed me that all of my blood tests had come back and everything was perfect and normal. The tests they did were for spina bifida, muscular distrophy, cystic fibrosis and down's syndrome, with probably a couple of others I don't remember. My doctor told me that nowadays, they're able to test for more than they used to. This was great news for me, and I left the doctor's office feeling great! I scheduled my next appointment and went back to work. And this time, I was smart enough to, once again, take the very first appointment of the day. It really cuts back on the wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment