Wednesday, March 30, 2011

22-Week Checkup. March 9, 2011

Today was another one of those monthly check-up things that we pregnant people have to put up with, among the many other intrusive errands and chores that plague our lives. You know, things like walking the dogs, making food, cleaning and doing laundry, going to work, taking care of our men. You know, all of those awful chores! (Haha! Just kidding about taking care of our men.) Anyway, I once again made the smart choice to take the bright and early first appointment of the day and headed over to my doctor's office. The routine thing happened; I gave them a sample in a cup, they took my weight and blood pressure, and then they repeat the same things about the results of my blood tests that I've heard so many times. This time, I gained about 3-5 pounds in four weeks. It doesn't seem like a lot, but I feel like if I wasn't pregnant, we'd have some serious issues here.
As has been routine for my son, when the doctor had me lay back on the exam table so he could listen to the baby's heartbeat with the doppler tool, Dominic began kicking at the sensor and moving away from the doctor. It was really entertaining; the doctor would find his heartbeat, Dominic would kick the sensor and then the heartbeat would fade. There goes the doppler to the other side of my stomach, kick, move, and fade. I think this happened a handful of times before he stopped being a brat and let us listen to his heart. Though, the doctor was quite pleased with his activity, and with the strength of his heart beat. You know the awful sound that comes from tapping on the microphone when the volume is turned up way too loud? Well, that's pretty much what my son's heartbeat sounded like. It was loud enough and strong enough that I flinched a few times before getting used to it! My strong, healthy baby is doing so well!

The doctor did tell me that our 18-week ultrasound showed a slightly enlarged left kidney size on the baby, and that he'd like me to go in for a follow-up in about six weeks just to make sure everything was alright. He said that it was very common, and that they saw it very often, and not to worry about it. I left out of there a bit confused; if they see it so much, and if it's so common, why the need to follow-up? I did some research when I got home, and found that a 4mm enlargement (which my son had) was so common, especially in little boys, that it wasn't really anything to be concerned about. So, I just swept that under the rug and looked forward to another ultrasound- whether or not I was concerned about his kidney, I got to see him again!

I love that I am starting to notice patterns in my son's activity as well. There will be one day, and pretty much all day, where he is so incredibly active that I cannot help but laugh out loud. Squirming, rolling, kicking, punching and moving around so much is something that I cannot even begin to describe the feeling of. It's just so much fun! But, after that day of movement, it's like he puts himself into a state of hibernation to recover from "all that activity!" At least a week or two passes while he sleeps and sleeps and sleeps to prepare himself for yet another day of dancing and aerobics. That day comes, but it's always inevitable that it's really all I can look forward to in any two week span of time. And usually, it's during a time when my husband is either at work, school, the gym, or sleeping; or while I'm at work. That's OK, though; I don't think that daddy is half as enthralled with the moving and kicking as mommy is. Though, everything I read says activity really skyrockets between 24 and 28 weeks, so I'm really looking forward to getting there!

No comments:

Post a Comment