So, because of the random pain that presented itself during our ultrasound on Valentine's Day, my doctor sent me for another ultrasound, but this time it was for my kidneys. He suspected that there was some fluid buildup in my kidneys and explained that this happens when the position of the baby lands on your ureter, and causes the fluid to buildup in your kidneys. As soon as he said this, it made complete sense to me. Why? Well, for no good reason, the ultrasound visit for the baby required that I drink 24 ounces of water in one hour's time, the hour before the ultrasound. It then instructed me not to relieve my bladder. Great, so you're telling me that, even though I already go to the bathroom a ton as it is on 4 ounces of water, that I can't go on 24?? Well, this is what they wanted, so this is what I did. To my dismay, the ultrasound tech allowed me to empty my bladder before I even set foot in the examination room. I promptly asked why, and her response? "We just want to make sure you're hydrated." ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Just tell me to be hydrated, then! I'm a big girl and I can drink plenty of water without having to cram 24 ounces in my tiny little kidneys in an hour. Yeesh.
At any rate, I deduced that, because I drank so much water in such a short period of time, and because the possibility of my ureter being squished existed, the pain was being caused solely by the huge amount of water that wasn't able to make its way quickly enough out of my kidneys and into my bladder. And all to find out, it was totally unnecessary! Well, I went to my kidney ultrasound and it was confirmed- the little dude in my belly was squishing me up. My solution? Never doing that again. I was supposed to drink that much water before my kidney scan appointment, but I learned my lesson the first time. I drank half of what they wanted me to drink, and it still gave them plenty of evidence to find out that it was what my doctor thought in the first place. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice? Not gonna happen.
Skipping down the calendar a little bit brings us to a day of epiphanies and hilarious reactions from some of my coworkers with whom I do not interact on a daily basis. I popped not too long ago, but I could still put clothes on and not really look very pregnant. The bump was quite small and could be hidden by a slightly loose shirt of my choice. But by the 25th, there was no way I was hiding anything; my shirts were coming up to my belly button which, in the past, came down to just below my hips, even with my back side. That's a pretty big difference! So, when people who saw me a few weeks prior saw me today, I certainly got some funny looks and comments. People tilting their heads to the side; looking at one another as they walk past me in the hall and doing a double take; and then playing the role of Captain Obvious, "Hey, that's a bump!" Right you are! I usually just smiled and kept on my merry way. Had I not, I'd have endured for the fiftieth time just in that day the several questions that are most commonly asked by people who are just noticing you're pregnant. Heck, for that matter, people who knew you were pregnant and forgot everything you'd already told them! "When are you due? Do you know what you're having? Do you have a name picked out? Wow, already? Did you want a boy?" It is rather fun, though, to have so many people interested in my son!
No comments:
Post a Comment