After many, many weeks and months of feeling like something just wasn't right with my current doctor's practice, I decided to go hunting for a new doctor. It wasn't that they were treating me badly, or giving me bad advice, or were doing anything they weren't supposed to be doing... It's just that they really weren't doing anything at all! I was feeling a bit uninformed; a bit like I had no clue what was going on and I was just a short few weeks away from delivering. Moving out to a new city was a good excuse for me to change doctors, and also, the fact that the hospital my former doctor was affiliated with a hospital quite a distance from my new house bothered me a bit. So, I phoned a dear friend and we spoke about it a while. Turns out that the doctor she, too, was at the time seeing, had been turning out to be something she did not start out to be. We shared our stories and right there, she helped me to find a new doctor around my area. I called the first number she gave me, as it was an all-women's practice, and I was absolutely blown away at just the conversation I had with the receptionist. I asked one question, and she proceeded to answer 50! I hadn't even told her my situation yet; I just told her I was 30 weeks pregnant and looking to switch doctor's offices.
After all was said and done, I went and saw my new doctor the following week. The nurse spent a great deal of time with me at first, asking lots of questions as they usually do and then going on to talk to me about a variety of things. She handed me a bag FULL of informational packets, handouts from their office describing each week's appointment and what to expect both at and out of the office, etc. Then the doctor came in, and SHE started to do the same thing! She explained so much to me and made sure all my questions were answered before I left. She explained the entire process to me about delivery, and I was just so excited to finally feel like I had a slight clue of what I was supposed to do when I felt I was going into labor. I knew at this very moment that Dominic and I were going to be very well taken care of, and I was really happy about that.
One great thing about this office is that they have you see each and every one of the doctor's in the practice, so that when you go into labor, any one of them that is on call that day is your doctor! They're ALL your doctor! And they're all so nice, and so efficient, and so explanatory, and so informative, and so kind. Even with a primary care doctor, I've never experienced this at all. I've always had to wait almost an hour after arrival to the office before even getting brought back to get weighed and then wait another 15 minutes before seeing the doctor. Not here; you sign in, leave a sample, and five minutes later, you're in! It's the best decision I could have made for me and my son. I owe a big thanks to my good friend who helped me find them. Dominic will have to give her a thank you coo when he's born, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment