Today we are 37 weeks and one day, my son and I. We've spent quite a bit of close time together over the past 9 or so months, and now he's making me wait to meet him. I think I can sense his evil laughter sometimes, especially when he rolls his little heel in the palm of my hand. At the start of my weekly appointments, week 35, the doctor provided some promising news that we re about 50 percent effaced. The effacement is the important part of labor, or so my husband and I have read, and dilation is important, but not so much as effacement in the grand scheme of things. I mean, dilation IS important, but in order to give birth, you've got to be 100 percent effaced. At any rate, aside from trying to be all technical, at week 35 we were half as soft as we needed to be, but had no dilation. At week 36, we were the same but with half a centimeter dilation! WOOHOO! Signs of progress were in the air. Except..
At week 37, we were exactly the same as week 36, and week 36 was not quite as GRAND a change in the grand scheme of things. So, stagnant is the progress of our progress. Pooey! I was hoping to have a baby near full term. Which, I guess is still close to possible. We're planning on our last day of work being July 1st, this baby and I, so I'm hoping he chooses just following July 1st. Depending on what the doctor says on June 29th, we may have to push this out a couple of days. I'm trying to get optimum snuggle time with my baby, and the more time I spend off of work before he's born, the less time I get to spend with him afterward, even if it is only a few days.
We're having a good time, though. The movements have gotten very muted, with just some squirming here and some heel dragging there. He is still the Hiccup King, catching them about 3-5 times on any given day. I am still able to do the laundry and go up and down the stairs. So, we're making do. I'm just really excited to meet him and kiss his little face. I've been getting super antsy about it lately. I wonder, though; will I cry when I finally hold him? Will I laugh because it's finally all over? Will I even want to hold his greasy little body, or will I make them clean him first? I don't know... I hope I just hold him and get lost in his little body, and I hope the whole world stops and me and him and his daddy are in this little bubble that no one can penetrate, looking at our new life as our new little family. The bubble will suddenly burst, because they most certainly will need to clean him, but I imagine time slowing so much so that every movement takes 100 times as long as it does in real life.
Can you tell I'm already dreamy about my baby?
No comments:
Post a Comment