I woke up in the morning ready to start my day and stare my appointment in the face. I had written down all of my symptoms, including the negative pregnancy test, and brought them to work so I didn't miss a thing! I was mentally preparing myself to be sent off for a multitude of tests because the doctor found that 'something just wasn't right.'
The doctor came in and asked me how I've been feeling lately, and I gave him the whole rundown- always tired, sore, hungry, etc and that I was 100% certain that I wasn't pregnant, because the test I took came back negative. He said ok, left the room and I changed. When he and the nurse returned, he patted around on my stomach and asked if it was sensitive anywhere. I told him yes when he hit a spot on my belly that hurt a little, and he finished and left the room. As he was walking out, he asked me, "Do you mind if I take a pregnancy test?" I responded, "Yes, if we'd like to rule that out definitively, then that's fine with me." I thought it was just part of procedure for things like this. Afterall, it already came out negative, right?
I got dressed and packed up my things, and headed into the doctors office. I don't remember the exact dialogue that took place between us, but it went something like this:
D: Well, when I was doing the examination, I noticed that your U. felt a bit swollen, which is why I asked for the pregnancy test. We checked the results, and well, You're Pregnant.
B: Wait, what? Are you sure? Do we need to do a blood test to verify this?
D: I mean, we could, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. Why don't we schedule an appointment to come back for the ultrasound. From what you told me, it sounds like you're at least 7-8 weeks along.
B: What?
D: So, congratulations! I will give you a prescription for some prenatal vitamins, and here is some reading you can do as well.
B: .... OK. Oh gosh. Thank you.
And that was that. I made my next appointment, went back to work, and stared at the box of pills he just gave me. What was my husband going to think? How would I tell him?
This was something I had never in a million years thought would come unplanned...
No comments:
Post a Comment