Willards Barbeque was voted one of the top ten best barbeque restaurants in the country. And if you ever go, you'll agree- there isn't a barbeque place I've been to yet that compares even slightly to the food served here! Our favorite sandwich is the KC Burnt Ends: brisket that has been cooked to perfection, and from which the ends are cut off, chopped up, doused in their barbeque sauce and so lovingly served to we patrons who just cannot get enough!
So of course, I chose nothing other than this heavenly sandwich. I'd noticed something I hadn't seen in the past- a burrito, and pointed it out to my husband. He NEVER changes his order from something he loves, so you can just imagine my surprise when he said, "I'll get that."
As we were standing in line to order, me gift in hand, he took the gift from me and our conversation went a little something like this:
H: So, would you be mad if I knew what it was?
B: Nope. What do you think it is?
H: I don't know yet. I just want to know if you'll be mad when I guess what it is.
B: No. I can't imagine that I would be.
And that was about as honest as I could get. There is no way in heck he would have ever guessed what it was, and I had to bite the insides of my cheeks to keep the slimy smirk off of my face so he didn't ask me another time, "What?" We ordered our food and I took off and found us a table. A nice "private" booth in the middle of the restaurant next to the barbeque sace. That's our favorite place to sit- easy access! Our order was called and he brought the food back to the table. We decided he could open the gift before we started eating, and so he started shaking it around, listening carefully.
B: So, what do you think it is?
H: Well, I thought it was my wireless headset that I've been wanting. But, it doesn't sound like that.
B: Any other ideas?
H: Hmmmm.
Since he couldn't figure it out, he unwrapped it and screamed, "SHOES!"
Yes, dear. I got you formal footwear for women. Matter of fact, they came from David's Bridal and I just so happened to wear them for our wedding! Hope you like them!
(No, I didn't say that. Just a little glimpse into what goes on in this really weird brain of mine.)
I smiled and just kept watching as he continued to open his gift. He lifted the lid and peeked inside and said, "Oh, you got me clothes?" I responded, "Yes, you could say that." So he smiled and dug right in!
Though, his reaction was a bit... Gosh, I don't know how really to put that into words. He didn't smile, nor did he frown. His face twisted a little and his neck almost broke leaning to the side.
"So who are these for?"
I stared at him, with a small smile. He repeated his question and then I maintained the same reaction. He looked at me, and I saw that little light bulb flicker. It was a, wait, what, no, huh? type of light bulb. The idea that it could possibly be ours, that my reaction says it was ours, but there was no way! Was there?
He leaned his head back and then looked at me.
"What? Are you serious? No. Wait. Really? HAHAHA. Are you kidding me? No. Really? These are ours? No. Are you serious?" This went on for a few minutes, literally. And I just sat there smiling, waiting for a true reaction. Was he happy? Was he mad at me? Was he upset? WHAT WAS GOING ON?
He pulled out the little pieces of clothing, and I think he was happy. After all, who could refuse "Daddy's best friend"?
He sat and stared in amazement for a little while. He didn't really know what to say. He didn't really know what he was feeling. He didn't even know if I was joking or not. It took him throughout the rest of dinner to actually come to terms with the fact that I was serious. It explained everything, right? I never did tell him about my negative pregnancy test. And I kept asking him, "What if?" and his response was always, "Not a chance."
And so here we are. At Willards. Digging into our food, mom and dad to be. In shock. In amazement. And Daddy went into planning mode.
My appointment was scheduled for the following Tuesday at 9:45AM. December 21st would be a pivotal moment for the both of us. We spent the next few days talking about it, and I myself went into disbelief mode.
No comments:
Post a Comment