Monday, February 28, 2011

Picking Names- We're Doing This Again? January 30, 2010

School started on January 24th. I was enrolled in three classes- Spanish, Art History, and Statistics- and still working full time. My first class was my Spanish class. I was really excited that there was no homework, and that I was starting with a clean slate. I got there 30 minutes early, sat in the very front of the class, and waited, hands crossed like a brand new student eager to learn her favorite subject. Then, another girl came in the class and asked me about the homework. My heart sank; are you kidding me? Our instructor had actually assigned us homework a whole WEEK before class started for anyone on campus. And not just that, we had homework enough to keep us busy all day, everyday, with nothing else to do. You can imagine my relief when I arrived at Art History and there was nothing but syllabus talk and leaving class early. My handsome man surprised me and picked me up from school and we had our favorite french fries at a local restaurant. I love him. I was a little nervous about my online statistics class, and I admit it did stress me out, but we eventually figured it out and it was fine.
So after starting school and literally drowning in Spanish homework that Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and yes, Sunday, I was less than excited to cook dinner. So, Sunday hubs gave me a break and we decided to do salad and breadsticks at the Olive Garden, and pick out our names without fighting about it!

We got our food, dug in, and started writing. We picked names for girls and names for boys; we chose middle names and scratched middle names off. We chose silly names and laughed our heads off. And then, we widdled it down to our final three. And then, we whittled it down to the first name and a selection of middle names. This was our preliminary draft to our finalized name, already agreed to come on February 14; the day of our gender ultrasound. I would say that food greatly elevated our moods and prevented fighting from happening. It was a miracle, really. There hasn't been a time up until this point where we haven't offended each other in some way when it came to baby's name.

So, our final list for the evening:
If the baby is a girl, her name will tentatively be Suriah (middle name undetermined).
But when we find out it's a boy, just as we have thought from Day 1, his name will tentatively be Giovanni Rey.

So that was that. We crossed out all the other names and called it a night.

You know, even though I found out I was pregnant a whole 11 weeks late, this is not flying by like everyone says. "Oh it goes so fast!" No, it doesn't. I feel like when I was back in elementary school when the days were just sooooo long and sooooo boring and there was nothing to eat and nothing to do. The difference? I'm swamped with things to do, and I'm always eating. And although the days seem to not have enough time in them for me to get what I need done, they still draaaagg. Maybe it's because I'm eager to actually see a belly and feel a baby. Hurry up in there, Boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment